Thursday, March 31, 2011

Menu Planning again part 2

My friend is just getting back into the kitchen and  had many questions...here are some of my answers.


Q. Where do I start?  I have a few things that I can cook but I would really like to better use my financial resources.

A.  Baby steps will get you there.  Make it a goal to try 1 new thing/recipes a week...or every 2 weeks...if your family likes it put it in the keeper file (3 ring binder w/ page protectors) or make note on a piece of paper.  If they don't make a note of it and why - didn't taste good, took to long, Ian did not like it but the kids ate it up = future lunch ideas, lol.

Q. What is a coupon match up.  Is it matching up a coupon and a store ad.  How do you use store ads?

A. Yes a coupon "match-up" is matching an item that is on sale with coupons for that same item.  I have used coupons on and off - currently I'm on with them.  By making  a list of whats on sale, that your family eats or uses, will help with your spending.  There is no sense in buying spaghetti sauce on sale if no one likes it (unless you know that you need to make a donation to the food pantry soon, kwim?)  But if Stove Top is on sale and your family eats that a lot then buy it and see how creative you can be with it. (Hope that makes sense?)

I love the MOPS cookbook because its full of family friendly mom-tested recipes Last night I wanted to make meatloaf but did not have the ingredients in the house to make the recipe I normally (Its in the MOPS cookbook) so I pulled it out looking for a new variation using ingredients I already had in the house...everyone ate it up.  I have lots of cookbooks and the MOPS one is one of my top 3 go to books.  My other favorite is a Betty Crocker with the red checked cover...it has lots of b-a-s-i-c how-to's because there are times when we all need that from time to time!

(NOTE the MOPS cookbook I refer to was published by our local MOPS group. Its my favorite because it is full of tried and true family favorite recipies.)

Speaking of meatloaf did you know the same meat mix makes good meatballs?  (I just learned that in the last year when I got tired of buying store-bought ones with all the extra stuff, that my kids love...now I just make homemade meatballs and put BBQ sauce on them.  (I know its got bad stuff in it too, but its one of the few things that we eat and I try to change it up so we don't eat BBQ sauce all the time...even though my family would love to!)

Q. Roasted cauuliflower what is that?

A.
Oh and as for roasted cauliflower I found that recipe about a year ago...My husband did not like cauliflower until I started fixing it this way.  Now we eat an entire head at 1 meal!!!!!  You can reduce the rosemary and garlic if its not in your diet or you don't have that much in the house.  http://www.food.com/recipe/roasted-cauliflower-16-roasted-cloves-of-garlic-106251

No comments: